Malkin scolds Penguins fans after Matt Murray jeered at home: ‘It was stupid’
— Here’s Your Replay ⬇️ (@HeresYourReplay) January 19, 2020
- Evgeni Malkin wasn’t too fond of the Pittsburgh Penguins’ home crowd after fans showered Matt Murray with sarcastic cheers on Sunday.
“It was stupid. I’m not understanding our fans. (Murray) won two Cups for us,” Malkin said, according to The Athletic’s Rob Rossi. “You boo him – why? If you come to the arena, support our team. All of us. We try. We play so hard this year. We work so hard through injuries. We play good hockey.”
“I understand: You pay money for ticket, you do what you want. But it’s tough to sit on bench and hear that. I don’t like it. We hear that in Philly, not Pittsburgh.”
- Murray, who has split time in the crease with All-Star teammate Tristan Jarry this season, got off to a shaky start against the Boston Bruins.
- He allowed two goals in the opening 2:02 of the game, and fans proceeded to cheer him mockingly when he made an easy save afterward.
- Pittsburgh’s fans, especially those brought up in the Crosby era, have been blessed to see their share of greatness. Only three goalies have been in the crease to close the Penguins’ five Cup victories.
- Murray has done it twice and as recently as three years ago.
“I love fans in Pittsburgh,” Malkin said. “Muzz win us two Cups! Like, do they forget?”
Sources & Credits: Rob Rossi, The Athletic, Here's your replay