Report: Kings open to trading Martinez
- At a $4-million cap hit and the fact that the left-handed Martinez can play both sides, there’s some obvious appeal, including his championship pedigree.
- Alec Martinez would be a solid rental for any team making the playoffs.
- What about Colorado?
- While there really is no screaming need on their blue line right now (Ryan Graves has been an awesome story by the way), if you’re a true contender and hope to go deep in the playoffs, you can never have enough blue-line depth.
- The fact that Martinez can play both sides and has won a Stanley Cup are nice merits for the Avs to ponder.
- Of course, Winnipeg screams yes, with their patchwork blue line needing help and the fact that Martinez is signed through next year a nice added element.
- Except that the Jets’ hands continue to be tied by the Dustin Byfuglien situation.
- And really, given the cap space Byfuglien would take up if he returned, the Jets really can’t act until they figure that out.
- What remains to be seen is what kind of return the Kings could get for Martinez.
- To be continued …
Sources & Credits: Pierre Lebrun, The Athletic
Please follow and like us: