Evander Kane Instigates A Fight With MacKenzie Weegar
— Here’s Your Replay ⬇️ (@HeresYourReplay) December 8, 2019
- The Sharks had to play a large part of the second period without forward Evander Kane.
- Just as he took a pass at the Panthers’ blue line, Kane was leveled by a borderline open ice hit from defenseman MacKenzie Weegar.
- No penalty was called, but the hit caught Kane’s shoulder and perhaps his head as he went down on the ice.
- Later in that shift, Kane went at Weegar, and the two dropped their gloves for a brief fight at the 4:16 mark of the second period.
“It’s just about sticking up for yourself,” Kane said. “We need a little more of that. Guy hits me in the head and no call. You’ve got to protect yourself. Nobody else is going to protect you on the ice. Not the refs, not the other team.
“Sometimes, you’ve got to stick up for yourself.”
- While they both received fighting majors, Kane received two-minute and 10-minute instigator penalties.
Sources & Credits: Curtis Pashelka, The Mercury News