Jack Hughes out for 1st time
- Chapter two of the Jack Hughes-Kaapo Kakko rivalry will be missing one of its main characters.
- Hughes will be out of the lineup with a lower body injury when the Devils host the Rangers at 1 p.m. on Saturday at Prudential Center in Newark.
- Hughes is considered day-to-day after blocking a shot during Thursday’s win over the Montreal Canadiens.
- Though he was able to finish that game, he did not practice on Friday.
- Hughes skated on Saturday but wasn’t quite ready to play. That likely means he won’t miss too much time.
- Kevin Rooney will be activated off injured reserve and will return to the lineup in Hughes’ place.
- Here’s how the Devils will line up against the Rangers:
Taylor Hall – Nico Hischier – Kyle Palmieri
Jesper Boqvist – Pavel Zacha – Wayne Simmonds
Blake Coleman – Travis Zajac – Nikita Gusev
Miles Wood – Kevin Rooney – Jesper Bratt
Andy Greene – Damon Severson
Sami Vatanen – P. K. Subban
Will Butcher – Matt Tennyson
Starter: Mackenzie Blackwood
Backup: Louis Domingue
F: John Hayden, Jack Hughes (lower body, day-to-day)
D: Mirco Mueller
On IR: D Connor Carrick (broken pinky, practicing)
Sources & Credits: Chris Ryan | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
John Hynes talks to the media about lineup updates before taking on the Rangers today, with Blackwood starting in net.
“He’s a big strong kid. He’s very good with his rebound control, he’s good on second opportunities in and around because of his size and athleticism.” pic.twitter.com/23mCVwpmZG
— New Jersey Devils (@NJDevils) November 30, 2019