Jimmy Howard Gets Hurt And John Tavares Scores While Play Continues
- It was a rough night for Detroit Red Wings goaltenders as Jimmy Howard suffered a lower-body injury midway through the first period, forcing a flu-stricken Jonathan Bernier to tough it out the rest of the way.
- Jimmy Howard was in noticeable pain during play and John Tavares scored shortly after.
- Howard had to be helped off the ice.
- There was a brief delay after Howard was helped off the ice as Bernier, who wasn’t on the bench, hurriedly donned his equipment. Bernier was scheduled to start before becoming ill, apparently late enough that the Red Wings could not summon a goalie from the minors.
- But it was far worse for the rest of the team, which didn’t have injury or illness as an excuse for a wretched performance in a 6-0 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs at Little Caesars Arena.
- The Red Wings (7-17-3) have dropped seven in a row (0-5-2), the past five in regulation.
- They have been shut out in consecutive games without injured leading scorer Anthony Mantha, failing to score in a span of 156 minutes and 28 seconds.
- The Red Wings have lost 11 games by three goals or more.
- They lost 11 such games all of last season.
Sources & Credits: Ansar Khan | firstname.lastname@example.org
NHL Highlights | Maple Leafs vs. Red Wings – Nov. 27, 2019
“It’s a tough night but we have to get ready for Philly and find a way to get out of this.”
— Detroit Red Wings (@DetroitRedWings) November 28, 2019
“I think we were able to get sustained pressure in the O-zone, shot pucks, got pucks back and just kept going at it. I think that was a big part of our game tonight.”
— Toronto Maple Leafs (@MapleLeafs) November 28, 2019