Sebastian Aho Banks Puck Off End Boards, Jams Puck Past Jimmy Howard
- James Reimer made 19 saves for the Carolina Hurricanes in a 2-0 win against the Detroit Red Wings at Little Caesars Arena on Sunday.
- It was Reimer’s first shutout with the Hurricanes and 22nd in the NHL.
“I got my first NHL shutout against them and now I’ve gotten one for them,” said Reimer, whose first NHL shutout came against the Hurricanes on Feb. 3, 2011, when he played for the Toronto Maple Leafs. “That kind of brings it full circle, which is fun.”
- Sebastian Aho and Teuvo Teravainen each had a goal and an assist for Carolina (15-8-1), which was coming off a 4-2 victory against the Florida Panthers on Saturday and has won six of its past seven games.
“It’s been great the last two games,” Hurricanes coach Rod Brind’Amour said. “That’s how we want to play. We weren’t sharp in the first period, but [Reimer] held down the fort and we defended fairly well after that.”
- Aho gave the Hurricanes a 1-0 lead at 10:37 of the second period. Aho skated to the top of the left circle and shot wide off the end boards before getting his rebound in the crease when Howard couldn’t cover the loose puck.
- Andrei Svechnikov had the secondary assist on the play to extend his point streak to eight games (five goals, seven assists).
“I was trying to bank the puck off the boards to [Teravainen], but I guess he can’t skate as fast on the second night of a back-to-back,” Aho joked. “That meant I had to go get it myself.”
Sources & Credits: NHL.com;
NHL Highlights | Hurricanes vs Red Wings – Nov. 24, 2019
— Carolina Hurricanes (@Canes) November 25, 2019
— Mike Maniscalco (@mikemaniscalco) November 25, 2019