OILERS STILL NEED A NO. 3 CENTER
- Allan Mitchell from the Athletic believes that in order to strengthen the roster and improve the Oilers chances of making the playoffs, Tippett needs a No. 3 centre.
- The Bakersfield Condors depth chart doesn’t have a strong option, with Cooper Marody injured, Ryan McLeod just starting his pro career and Colby Cave plus Brad Malone being fringe NHL calibre players.
- A trade would seem to be the only route and the best options may not shake loose until closer to the deadline.
- Jean-Gabriel Pageau of the Ottawa Senators is the perfect fit, but the Sens will no doubt work hard between now and the deadline to find a contract number that works.
- In a season of struggle for Ottawa, Pageau has been a bright light.
- If he does shake loose, it’ll be closer to the deadline and my bet is the price will be dear.
- The Oilers are in a different situation than the contenders, who will need Pageau for the playoffs.
- Edmonton may need Pageau to make the postseason.
- Mathieu Perreault of the Winnipeg Jets is emerging as a quality target.
- Perreault plays 26 percent of his minutes against elites, that’s over 71 minutes (with good results) this season.
- He doesn’t play centre in Winnipeg; the organization is flush with options.
- He could slide into the No. 3 role with the Oilers immediately.
- His offensive ability would be a welcome addition to Edmonton’s bottom six forwards and he can help on the power play.
- What’s more, Edmonton is now at a point where a defenceman may shake loose once everyone is healthy and there could be a natural trade fit.
- The Winnipeg Jets are a solid option, with a Kris Russell for Perreault deal making a lot of sense for both teams.
- Oilers fans get restless about making a trade after every loss.
- As Tippett’s deployment of current assets comes into view (with increased sample size), the need becomes more obvious.
- If the Pacific Division continues to tighten, and if the Oilers begin to healthy scratch names like Russell and Benning, something will have to give.
- Edmonton needs a No. 3 centre.
- Is it Perreault?
Sources & Credits: Allan Mitchell, The Athletic
Please follow and like us: