Dubois, Blue Jackets storm past Canadiens
- Pierre-Luc Dubois had two goals and an assist in the Columbus Blue Jackets’ 5-2 win against the Montreal Canadiens at Nationwide Arena on Tuesday.
- Columbus scored three goals in the third period and four unanswered. Emil Bemstrom gave Columbus a 3-2 lead at 6:54, and Boone Jenner made it 4-2 on the power play at 11:06.
- Dubois scored his second of the game to make it 5-2 at 14:33.
- Eric Robinson scored, Oliver Bjorkstrand had two assists, and Joonas Korpisalo made 30 saves for the Blue Jackets (8-8-4), who are 3-1-1 in their past five games.
“We’re certainly not used to playing with a three-goal lead with three or four minutes left,” Blue Jackets coach John Tortorella said of their first win by more than one goal this season.
- Artturi Lehkonen and Joel Armia scored, and Carey Price made 21 saves for the Canadiens (11-6-4), who led 2-1 early in the second period and had a six-game point streak (4-0-2) end.
“We didn’t bear down,” Montreal forward Brendan Gallagher said. “We had plenty of chances there, especially in the first two periods. We had the opportunity in the third to take the lead, extend the lead.”
- Bemstrom scored on an unusual play to break the tie. His high shot from the slot rebounded off the glass toward the net. Price had turned to look for the puck, and it hit him and deflected into the goal.
“I didn’t know if it was a good goal,” Bemstrom said. “I don’t know what I was thinking. The puck just bounced back and went in.”
Tortorella said, “I’ve never seen it go in with the goalie looking in the stands that way. I don’t care. That’s some puck luck for us.”
NHL Highlights | Canadiens vs Blue Jackets – Nov. 19, 2019
- Weber had a six-game point streak (eight points; four goals, four assists) end. …
- Canadiens forward Tomas Tatar’s four-game point streak (seven points; two goals, five assists) also ended. …
- Blue Jackets defenseman Zach Werenski had an assist to extend his point streak to four games (five points; three goals, two assists). …
- Columbus captain Nick Foligno served the last of a three-game suspension for elbowing Colorado Avalanche forward Pierre-Edouard Bellemare in a game Nov. 9. …
- Bemstrom had a goal and an assist, giving him six points (three goals, three assists) in a five-game point streak to match the longest by a Blue Jackets rookie.
- It was last accomplished by Dubois in 2017-18. … Columbus blocked 21 shots.
Sources & Credits: NHL.com; CLB Blue Jackets
A special kepi presentation.
We love you, Timmy! pic.twitter.com/PStNCM3lXD
— Columbus Blue Jackets (@BlueJacketsNHL) November 20, 2019