Islanders top Penguins in OT, tie their record with 15-game point streak
- Brock Nelson scored 2:55 into overtime, and the New York Islanders matched their record by extending their point streak to 15 games in a come-from-behind 5-4 win against the Pittsburgh Penguins at PPG Paints Arena on Tuesday.
- Nelson had two goals and an assist, Nick Leddy had three assists, Anthony Beauvillier had a goal and an assist, and Semyon Varlamov made 27 saves for the Islanders (15-3-1), who are 14-0-1 since losing 5-2 to the Carolina Hurricanes on Oct. 11.
- New York has had a 15-game point streak three previous times with the most recent coming Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 1982 (15-0-0).
“Honestly, and this is with all true honesty, we wouldn’t even know,” Islanders coach Barry Trotz said. “Our team would have no clue if we won 10 in a row or five in a row. We would just know we haven’t lost in a while. That’s really been our mentality. But everyone in the media seems to keep bringing that up, so we’re understanding the numbers now.”
- Matt Murray made 37 saves for Pittsburgh (11-7-3), which is 3-1-2 in its past six games.
- Brandon Tanev had two goals, Jake Guentzel had a goal and an assist, and Evgeni Malkin had two assists.
“I didn’t think we were very good at all [in overtime],” Penguins coach Mike Sullivan said. “I just thought our details were brutal. So we have to be better.”
- The Islanders rallied from two goals down twice in the game after coming back from down 3-0 in the third period of a 4-3 shootout win against the Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday.
- They overcame multigoal deficits to win consecutive games for the 10th time in their history.
NHL Highlights | Islanders vs Penguins – Nov. 19, 2019
- The Islanders came back after trailing by more than one goal in the third period to win consecutive games for the second time in their history.
- It also happened on Dec. 31, 1985 (5-4 overtime win against the Red Wings), and Jan. 2, 1986 (7-5 win against the Boston Bruins). …
- Islanders forward Casey Cizikas played his 500th NHL game.
- He had one shot on goal and six hits in 15:20. …
- New York forward Derick Brassard returned to Pittsburgh for the first time since being traded from the Penguins to the Florida Panthers on Feb. 1.
- He had two assists. …
- Penguins forward Patric Hornqvist missed a seventh straight game with a lower-body injury.
- He wore a full-contact jersey during morning skate Tuesday. …
- Pittsburgh has killed 23 straight penalties and hasn’t allowed a power-play goal in its past 10 games.
Sources & Credits: NHL.com; NY Islanders, PIT Penguins