Burakovsky scores two goals for Avalanche in win against Flames
- Andre Burakovsky scored two goals and Nathan MacKinnon had two assists for the Colorado Avalanche in a 3-2 win against the Calgary Flames at Scotiabank Saddledome on Tuesday.
- Vladislav Kamenev also scored, and Philipp Grubauer made 31 saves for Colorado (13-6-2), which has won five of its past six games following a five-game winless streak (0-4-1).
“I don’t think every game’s been pretty and we had different guys contributing every night,” Avalanche coach Jared Bednar said. “That’s what you need. They’re not always going to be perfect, especially when you’re missing this many guys and some key players, but you have to keep grinding and believe and find different ways. The buy-in and the game plan has been good. I’m pretty pleased with it.”
- Derek Ryan and Andrew Mangiapane scored, and David Rittich made 23 saves for Calgary (10-11-3), which has been outscored 18-5 during a five-game winless streak (0-4-1).
- The Flames open a four-game road trip at the St. Louis Blues on Thursday.
“There is adversity for sure,” Flames coach Bill Peters said. “There is adversity in the fact that we haven’t won recently, adversity in the fact we’ve got some guys down, but that’s everybody in the League. … Across the League, you’re going to hit it at some point where you’re banged up, lots of injuries, [and] nobody feels sorry for you when it happens.”
NHL Highlights | Avalanche vs. Flames – Nov. 19, 2019
- Colorado was without forwards Mikko Rantanen (lower body), Gabriel Landeskog (lower body), Colin Wilson (lower body), Tyson Jost (upper body) and Matt Calvert (head);
- Calgary was missing forwards Sam Bennett (upper body) and Austin Czarnik (lower body), and defensemen Travis Hamonic (lower body) and TJ Brodie (medical episode). …
- MacKinnon has 13 points (five goals, eight assists) in his past six games;
- Makar has 12 points (four goals, eight assists) in his past seven games and leads all NHL rookies with 23 points (five goals, 18 assists). …
- Flames forward Johnny Gaudreau has two goals in the past 19 games, and center Sean Monahan has three goals in the past 21.
Sources & Credits: NHL.com; COL Avalanche, CAL Flames
— Colorado Avalanche (@Avalanche) November 20, 2019