The Leafs’ losing skid is stoking speculation about a trade or a coaching change
- Elliotte Friedman suggests anything is possible regarding a coaching change for the Toronto Maple Leafs, who are winless in their last five games.
- Chris Johnston believes the Leafs are worried about the process more than just the losses, noting how they’ve fallen early in the games.
“Everything has to be considered,” said Johnston. “There’s a lot riding on this season for the entire Leafs organization.”
- In a later segment, Brian Burke believes the clock is ticking on Leafs coach Mike Babcock.
- He points out they’ve replaced the two assistant coaches and it hasn’t helped.
- They’ve got the guy they want sitting in the wings, referring to Marlies coach Sheldon Keefe.
- Regarding the Leafs backup goaltending, Johnston believes they want to see more than just one game from call-up Kasimir Kaskisuo.
- If they decide to look outside the organization, Johnston suggests keeping an eye on Pittsburgh’s Tristan Jarry.
- The Penguins have two very good goalies in Jarry and Casey DeSmith behind starter Matt Murray.
- Johnston feels the Pens could move one of them if the right offer came along. Jarry is 24, off to a great start to this season, and is affordable for a cap-strapped team like the Leafs.
- Friedman also said there’s been lots of recent chatter over Tyson Barrie.
- The defenseman hasn’t asked for a trade but so far things haven’t worked with the Leafs.
- Barrie’s in his contract year and the Leafs have received calls about his availability.
- So far, they’ve rejected the idea and don’t want to trade him.
- The Leafs are carrying just $2.75 million of his $5.5 million salary-cap hit.
- Friedman says we’ll see what happens over the next month but there’s a recognition this situation cannot continue for Barrie.
Sources & Credits: Elliotte Friedman, Chris Johnston, Brian Burke, Sportsnets, Spectors Hockey
Please follow and like us: