Sharks defeat Red Wings in shootout for sixth straight win
- Kevin Labanc had a goal and two assists, and the San Jose Sharks won their sixth straight game with a 4-3 shootout victory against the Detroit Red Wings at SAP Center on Saturday.
- Logan Couture had three assists, and Martin Jones made 25 saves for San Jose (10-10-1).
“It feels awesome, but it doesn’t stop there,” Labanc said. “We’ve just got to make sure we keep this momentum going.”
- Andreas Athanasiou scored twice for Detroit (7-12-3), including the tying goal at 15:46 of the third period to make it 3-3.
- Robby Fabbri had two assists for the Red Wings, who extended their point streak to five games (3-0-2). Jimmy Howard made 16 saves.
“I thought it was one of our better games, believe it or not,” Detroit forward Dylan Larkin said. “That’s a really good team over there that’s playing really well right now, and it was a back-and-forth game.”
- The Sharks’ penalty kill, which ranks first in the NHL (90.9 percent), was 3-for-3, including a tripping penalty against Brent Burns at 1:39 of overtime. The Red Wings had four shots on goal during the 4-on-3 power play.
“We have a good system and prepare well for each team and make adjustments against certain guys,” Sharks defenseman Erik Karlsson said. “And when we get out there, we’re not thinking as much because they have control of the puck and we react, make good reads and our instincts take over more than usual probably.”
NHL Highlights | Red Wings vs Sharks – Nov. 16, 2019
- Red Wings defenseman Mike Green left before the morning skate and arrived in Detroit in time for the birth of his second child. …
- Couture has seven points (one goal, six assists) in the past three games. …
- Meier and Hertl each had his five-game point streak end. …
- The Sharks have outscored opponents 27-17 during their winning streak (including two shootout victories).
Sources & Credits: NHL.com; SJ Sharks, DET Red Wings