Kahun has two goals, assist in Penguins win against Maple Leafs
- Dominik Kahun had two goals and an assist in a 6-1 win for the Pittsburgh Penguins against the Toronto Maple Leafs at PPG Paints Arena on Saturday.
“I think, as a team, it’s huge that we finally got two points again,” Kahun said. “That was big for us. For me, I say it all the time, I just try to work hard every game and sometimes I get rewarded for that, like tonight.”
- Bryan Rust also had three points (one goal, two assists) and Tristan Jarry made 32 saves for the Penguins (11-7-2), who are 1-1-1 in three games without center Sidney Crosby (core muscle surgery).
- Evgeni Malkin and Jake Guentzel each had a goal and an assist.
- Kasimir Kaskisuo made 32 saves in his NHL debut for Toronto (9-9-4), which is 0-4-1 in a season-long five-game winless streak.
- The Maple Leafs lost a back-to-back by a combined score of 10-3. They lost 4-2 to the Boston Bruins on Friday.
“We didn’t play hard enough for long enough,” Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock said. “In the end, as an athlete, you put on your sweater. You want to be proud of how hard you compete and how hard you play for one another. We didn’t look after that.
“We have to take a look at each other and get this fixed. No one on the outside is going to fix it. We have to fix it.”
NHL Highlights | Maple Leafs vs Penguins – Nov. 16, 2019
- Toronto allowed at least six goals in regulation for the second time this season.
- It lost 7-3 to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Oct. 10. …
- Maple Leafs forward Auston Matthews had his six-game point streak end.
- He had 11 points (three goals, eight assists) during that stretch. …
- Forward Trevor Moore did not travel with the Maple Leafs after sustaining a shoulder injury Friday. …
- Penguins forward Nick Bjugstad did not play after sustaining a lower-body injury during a 2-1 loss to the New Jersey Devils on Friday. Sullivan said Bjugstad continues to be evaluated. …
- Pittsburgh defenseman Kris Letang and forward Patric Hornqvist have started skating on their own, Sullivan said.
- Letang is week to week with a lower-body injury; Hornqvist is out longer term with a lower-body injury. …
- The Penguins recalled forward Joseph Blandisi from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League on Saturday.
- He played third-line center in place of Bjugstad. …
- Pittsburgh scored first for the first time since Oct. 29, when they had four first-period goals in a 7-1 win against the Philadelphia Flyers. …
- McCann’s goal was his 100th NHL point.
Sources & Credits: NHL.com; PIT Penguins, TOR Maple Leafs
The goals > the speech. pic.twitter.com/hjzmXICnsS
— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) November 17, 2019