Blue Jackets defeat Blues in OT on Werenski power-play goal
- Zach Werenski scored on the power play with 1:26 left in overtime to give the Columbus Blue Jackets a 3-2 victory against the St. Louis Blues at Nationwide Arena on Friday.
“We got some shots, got some chances, and I was happy to score one there,” said Werenski, who beat goalie Jake Allen with a one-timer from the right face-off circle to win it.
- Vladislav Gavrikov scored his first NHL goal, Pierre-Luc Dubois tied the game in the third period, and Joonas Korpisalo made 25 saves for the Blue Jackets (7-8-4), who won for the second time in nine games (2-5-2).
- Brayden Schenn and Mackenzie MacEachern scored, and Allen made 36 saves for the Blues (12-3-5), who were coming off a 3-2 shootout loss to the Arizona Coyotes on Tuesday after a seven-game winning streak.
- St. Louis had a 2-1 lead entering the third period against Arizona too.
“We’ve got to do a better job of not letting the game go to overtime,” Schenn said. “We’ve had the lead in multiple games here. Whether we’re sitting back or not taking care of the puck or just too relaxed going into the third period, it’s biting us right now, and we have to clean that up.”
NHL Highlights | Blues vs. Blue Jackets – Nov. 15, 2019
- With an assist on Schenn’s goal, Blues forward David Perron has 11 points (three goals, eight assists) in the past nine games. …
- Blue Jackets rookie forward Emil Bemstrom had an assist on Dubois’ goal to extend his point streak to four games (two goals, two assists). …
- Columbus has won 30 regular-season overtime games since 2016-17, tying the Los Angeles Kings for the most in the NHL in that span. …
- Blue Jackets captain Nick Foligno served the second of a three-game suspension for elbowing Colorado Avalanche forward Pierre-Edouard Bellemare on Saturday. …
- Gavrikov is the third Blue Jackets rookie to score his first NHL goal in the past four games (Bemstrom at the Coyotes on Nov. 7; Eric Robinson at the Montreal Canadiens on Tuesday). …
- Columbus is the only NHL team that will not play Saturday.
Sources & Credits: NHL.com; CLB Blue Jackets, STL Blues
And the kepi… goes… to… pic.twitter.com/5Itpxs80NQ
— Columbus Blue Jackets (@BlueJacketsNHL) November 16, 2019