Hertl scores twice, sustains injury in Sharks victory against Ducks
- Tomas Hertl scored two goals before leaving with an undisclosed injury, and the San Jose Sharks won their season-high fifth consecutive game, 5-3 against the Anaheim Ducks at Honda Center on Thursday.
- Hertl left after taking a hit midway through the third period. Sharks coach Peter DeBoer did not have an update after the game.
- Brent Burns, Evander Kane and Logan Couture each had a goal and an assist, and Martin Jones made 29 saves for the Sharks (9-10-1).
“We’re still in a hole here so we’ve got to make sure that we continue to build our game,” Jones said.
- Rickard Rakell and Jakob Silfverberg each had a goal and an assist, and John Gibson made 30 saves for the Ducks (9-9-2), who completed a season-long seven-game homestand winless in their past five games (0-3-2).
“We clearly didn’t get enough points (on the homestand),” Rakell said. “Going on the road here, we know there are lot of tough teams we are playing. We’re just going to have to find a way to win games.”
NHL Highlights | Sharks vs Ducks – Nov. 14, 2019
- Dalton Prout took exception to a hit behind the play and found a dance partner in Nicolas Deslauriers, the two had a spirited tilt before taking a rest in the penalty box.
- San Jose forward Timo Meier had two assists and has nine points (three goals, six assists) in a five-game point streak. …
- Kane’s goal was San Jose’s first shorthanded, game-winning, third-period road goal since Curtis Brown at Anaheim on Oct. 13, 2006. …
- The Sharks recalled defenseman Dalton Prout from a conditioning assignment with San Jose of the American Hockey League on Thursday.
- Prout, who had not played in the NHL since sustaining an upper-body injury in the season-opener against the Vegas Golden Knights on Oct. 3, played 9:32. ….
- The Ducks played their 1,000th home game in history.
- They are 537-330-133 in Anaheim. …
- Henrique has five assists in a four-game point streak. …
- Silfverberg has two goals and three assists in a four-game point streak. …
- Ducks forward Sam Steel has five assists in the past five games.
Sources & Credits: NHL.com; SJ Sharks, ANA Ducks