Scheifele has goal, two assists for Jets in win against Panthers
- Mark Scheifele had a goal and two assists, and the Winnipeg Jets denied Joel Quenneville his 900th NHL victory with a 4-3 win against the Florida Panthers at BB&T Center on Thursday.
- Quenneville is looking to join Scotty Bowman as the only coaches in League history to reach 900 victories.
- Scheifele gave the Jets a 3-2 lead at 14:52 of the third period when Patrik Laine got a rebound and backhanded a pass across the crease for a one-timer.
- Adam Lowry made it 4-2 at 17:02 before Vincent Trocheck cut it to 4-3 at 18:26.
“We know they have offense and we know they play a solid game, and they’re going to make you pay if you give them a chance,” Scheifele said. “It was good resilience on our part, good character to come back and continue to fight for that lead.”
- Josh Morrissey and Nikolaj Ehlers scored, and Laine had three assists for Winnipeg (11-8-1), which is 5-1-1 in the past seven games. Laurent Brossoit made 34 saves in his first start since Nov. 2.
“He was fighting in the net,” Jets coach Paul Maurice said. “Huge road win. He’s the guy that usually gets the tougher games to play in. It’s not a back to back, so he got a chance to show what he can do.”
- Trocheck scored twice, and Keith Yandle and Mike Hoffman each had two assists for Florida (9-5-5). Sergei Bobrovsky made 26 saves.
“I don’t really care if I score as long as we win,” said Trocheck, who came in with one goal in 11 games this season. “That’s the main focus. I like how we were resilient there in the third and didn’t let up. Even down two goals, we still fought to get back in it but in the third period we can’t give up chances like that. We have to be even tighter than we are in the first and second.”
- Bobrovsky has allowed four or more goals in three of his past four starts.
“Everybody goes through stretches where you’re going to play your best, and you’re going to have stretches where all of a sudden you’re against it,” Quenneville said. “It doesn’t matter what position you’re at, but it’s magnified being the goalie.”
NHL Highlights | Jets vs Panthers – Nov. 14, 2019
- Winnipeg is 8-1-1 in one-goal games. …
- Laine had his second three-assist game of the season.
- The first came Oct. 8 in a 4-1 victory against the Pittsburgh Penguins. …
- Barkov extended his point streak to seven games (six goals, six assists), two shy of his NHL career high. …
- Yandle has 11 points (one goal, 10 assists) in the past eight games. …
- Florida was not assessed a penalty.
Sources & Credits: NHL.com; WIN Jets, FLA Panthers
When you make plays like that, ya you get the helmet.
— Winnipeg Jets (@NHLJets) November 15, 2019