McDavid has six points for Oilers in win against Avalanche
- Connor McDavid had his first six-point game in the NHL and second hat trick in three games for the Edmonton Oilers in a 6-2 win against the Colorado Avalanche at Rogers Place on Thursday.
- He is the fourth NHL player to have at least six points in a game since Sidney Crosby had two goals and four assists for the Pittsburgh Penguins on Jan. 19, 2010.
- Edmonton’s Sam Gagner had eight points (four goals, four assists) in an 8-4 win against the Chicago Blackhawks on Feb. 2, 2012.
“You have nights where you feel good, and then not so good,” McDavid said. “Tonight, I definitely felt good. It’s nice to get some early and keep it rolling.”
- Leon Draisaitl had five assists to extend his point streak to 11 games (nine goals, 16 goals). He leads the NHL with 41 points (15 goals, 26 assists).
“It’s fun, it’s real fun to play with Leo,” McDavid said. “We’ve been playing together for a long time now. So these nights are fun to do it together.”
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins scored two goals, and Mike Smith made 31 saves for Edmonton (13-6-2), which went 4-for-6 on the power play and 5-for-5 on the penalty kill in its third win in four games.
“[McDavid] was flying tonight, he had his ‘A’ game,” said Draisaitl, who set an NHL career high for points in a game. “It was a good night for all of us. I know the power plays got the goals, but all four lines played solid and created and it was a good game for us.”
- Andre Burakovsky scored two goals for Colorado (11-6-2), which lost for the first time in four games. Adam Werner allowed five goals on 18 shots in his first NHL start and was replaced by Antoine Bibeau at 8:32 of the second period.
- Bibeau made nine saves in his season debut.
“I think their best players had a night tonight, and I didn’t think we were very good, not tight enough with our checking, and we just didn’t seem to have the drive we needed to win this one,” Avalanche coach Jared Bednar said. “Too many penalties for us, and their power play had a night, and their special teams were really good, and ours weren’t.”
NHL Highlights | Avalanche vs Oilers – Nov. 14, 2019
- Zack Kassian buried Nathan MacKinnon with a huge hit and Matt Calvert took exception as the two dropped the gloves right after.
- There have been 242 six-point games in NHL history. …
- Since Gagner’s eight-point game, Johnny Gaudreau had three goals and three assists for the Calgary Flames on March 12, and Jamie Benn had a goal and five assists for the Dallas Stars on Nov. 14, 2013. …
- Darryl Sittler holds the NHL record for points in a game. He had 10 (six goals, four assists) for the Toronto Maple Leafs in an 11-4 win against the Boston Bruins on Feb. 7, 1976. …
- McDavid and Draisaitl are the second set of teammates to each have at least five points in a game this season.
- David Pastrnak had five assists, and Brad Marchand had two goals and three assists for the Bruins in a 7-4 win at the New York Rangers on Oct. 2. …
- McDavid is the fourth player in Edmonton history to score two hat tricks in three games, joining Wayne Gretzky (twice in 1981-82, twice in 1983-84), Glenn Anderson (1983-84, 1987-88), and Jari Kurri (1983-84).
Sources & Credits: NHL.com; EDM Oilers, COL Avalanche