Bobby Orr: Don Cherry’s firing is ‘disgraceful’
Bobby Orr on Don Cherry (@CoachsCornerDC) fired from Sportsnet:
— OMF (@OMFonWEEI) November 14, 2019
- Bobby Orr is in Don Cherry’s corner.
- Cherry was fired by Sportsnet on Monday after nearly 40 years on the air after a rant about Canadian immigrants not buying poppies ahead of Remembrance Day.
“You people that come here, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple of bucks for poppies or something like that,” Cherry said on Saturday’s edition of “Coach’s Corner”.
- The legendary blue-liner came to the 85-year-old’s defense Thursday.
“I know Grapes better than anybody,” Orr told “Ordway, Merloni, and Fauria on WEEI.” “He’s not a bigot and he’s not a racist. This guy is the most generous, caring guy that I know.
“What they’ve done to him up there is disgraceful. It really is.”
- Cherry coached Orr for two seasons with the Boston Bruins in 1974-75 and 1975-76.
- Cherry and Orr have also coached opposing teams in the CHL Top Prospects Game nearly every year since 1996. Orr is famously known as Cherry’s favorite player of all time.
Sources & Credits: OMF, The Score