Cholowski scores in OT, Red Wings defeat Ducks for third straight win
- Dennis Cholowski scored at 2:04 of overtime and the Detroit Red Wings won their season-high third straight game, 4-3 against the Anaheim Ducks at Honda Center on Tuesday.
- Dylan Larkin tied it with 37 seconds left in the third period during a 6-on-3 situation; Brendan Guhle (tripping) and Korbinian Holzer (hooking) committed penalties 21 seconds apart, and Jonathan Bernier was pulled for an extra attacker.
- Cholowski won it when he beat Ryan Miller with a wrist shot from the right circle.
- It was his second goal of the season.
“It all happened pretty fast,” Cholowski aaid. “I hopped on the ice, saw a gap in the middle and [Robby Fabbri] gave me a really good pass. Their D-man was kind of back in their zone a little bit, so I figured why not go in and shoot it, and it went in.”
- Filip Hronek and Andreas Athanasiou also scored, Tyler Bertuzzi had two assists and Bernier made 24 saves for Detroit (7-12-1), which has won three in a row after going 1-11-1 the previous 13 games.
“Winning breeds confidence,” Red Wings coach Jeff Blashill said. “We’ve got to continue to make sure we play good hockey for 60 minutes.”
- Jakob Silfverberg, Josh Mahura and Cam Fowler scored, and Miller made 32 saves for Anaheim (9-8-2), which is winless in four straight games (0-2-2). Adam Henrique and Ondrej Kase each had two assists.
“We put ourselves in a tough position,” Silfverberg said. “It’s never a good sign when you have to kill off a 6-on-3 at the end of the game.”
NHL Highlights | Red Wings vs Ducks – Nov. 12, 2019
- Bertuzzi has four assists in the past three games. …
- Fabbri has four points (two goals, two assists) in three games since being acquired from the St. Louis Blues on Nov. 6. …
- Larkin has two goals and an assist in a three-game point streak; Mantha has a four-game point streak (two goals, three assists). …
- The Ducks sent forward Max Comtois to San Diego of the American Hockey League on Tuesday. …
- Anaheim went 0-for-2 on the power play and is 4-for-49 this season (8.2 percent).
Sources & Credits: Dan Arritt / NHL.com; DET Red Wings, ANA Ducks
— Detroit Red Wings (@DetroitRedWings) November 13, 2019