Jonathan Toews Steps Up After Jake Muzzin Levels Brandon Saad With Huge Hit
- The refs broke it up quickly but Jonathan Toews was ready to go toe-to-toe with Jake Muzzin after the Maple Leafs defenceman leveled Brandon Saad with a hit against the boards.
Lehner makes 53 saves for Blackhawks in win against Maple Leafs
- Robin Lehner made 53 saves, and the Chicago Blackhawks scored twice in 10 seconds during a four-goal first period in a 5-4 win against the Toronto Maple Leafs at United Center on Sunday.
- Patrick Kane had two goals and an assist, and Kirby Dach, Jonathan Toews and Brandon Saad also scored for Chicago (6-7-4), which is 3-1-2 in its past six games after going 1-4-1 in the previous six. Alex DeBrincat had three assists.
- The Blackhawks were outshot 26-7 in the third period.
“It was a tough one, but way to battle together and get the two points,” Lehner said.
- William Nylander had two goals and Auston Matthews had four assists for Toronto (9-6-4), which saw its five-game point streak end (3-0-2).
- Michael Hutchinson made 29 saves.
“Well, we didn’t start very good obviously,” Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock said. “They shot it in our net. We thought we competed way earlier than the third, but in the end we didn’t compete good enough to win. We had a lot of chances. Their goalie was real solid, he made lots of saves. In saying that though, the first 10 minutes of the game wasn’t good enough, so you spend the whole night battling.”
NHL Highlights | Maple Leafs vs. Blackhawks – Nov. 10, 2019
- The Maple Leafs announced during the game that forward Mitchell Marner, who injured his ankle in a 3-2 shootout loss to the Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday, will be out at least four weeks. …
- Matthews had 10 shots on goal, and Toronto defensemen Morgan Rielly and Jake Muzzin each had six. …
- It was the fifth time since 1989-90 the Blackhawks scored twice in 10 seconds or fewer, and the first since Nov. 23, 2013 at the Vancouver Canucks, when Andrew Shaw and Marcus Kruger scored nine seconds apart. …
- Lehner’s 53 saves matched his NHL career high on Nov. 1, 2013, against the New York Islanders. …
- Kane has 11 points (five goals, six assists) in a six-game point streak after having one assist in his previous five games.
- An errant shot hits Drake Caggiula in the head.
- He was in pain and needed assistance to get to the dressing room.
Sources & Credits: Scott King / NHL.com, CHI Blackhawks, TOR Maple Leafs
— Chicago Blackhawks (@NHLBlackhawks) November 11, 2019