Puljujarvi saying in Finland
- Jesse Puljujarvi told Sami Hoffren of Iltasanomat that he plans on remaining with Oulun Karpat for the remainder of the season.
- Puljujarvi had an opt-out clause until December 1st to return to the NHL, the deadline date that he would have needed to sign an NHL contract to be eligible to play this season.
“The 100 per cent focus is on playing in Oulu until the end of the season and being able to play a great season there,” Puljujarvi said, via a translation.
- He remains the property of the Edmonton Oilers and is a restricted free agent.
- Other teams had shown interest in Puljujarvi, but the Oilers didn’t receive any offers they liked enough. GM Ken Holland had previously said that he’s prepared to wait if there wasn’t an offer he liked.
- The former fourth overall pick signed a one-year contract with Karpat of Liiga in August. In order to make a return to the NHL for the 2019-20 campaign, he’d need to sign a deal by Dec. 1.
- Puljujarvi’s agent stated in June that his client would play in Europe if he’s not traded from the Oilers.
- The Carolina Hurricanes reportedly showed interest in acquiring the 21-year-old winger, but nothing has come to fruition.
- Puljujarvi is still a restricted free agent in the NHL.
- He’s had a productive year overseas, tallying 11 goals and nine assists in 18 games so far.
- However, in part due to numerous injuries and demotions to the AHL, Puljujarvi collected just 37 points in 139 games with Edmonton.
Sources & Credits: Frank Seravalli, TSN, NHL Trade Rumors
Please follow and like us: