Penguins defeat Blackhawks in shootout but lose Crosby to injury
- Sidney Crosby sustained a lower-body injury early in the third period of a 3-2 shootout win for the Pittsburgh Penguins against the Chicago Blackhawks at PPG Paints Arena on Saturday.
- The center did not return after blocking a shot from Erik Gustafsson at 1:43 of the third. Coach Mike Sullivan said he expects to have more information after the Penguins practice Monday.
- Pittsburgh already is without defenseman Kris Letang and forward Patric Hornqvist , each out with a lower-body injury.
- Letang is week to week, and Hornqvist is out longer term.
“You certainly find out about your depth out of necessity,” Sullivan said. “I think guys have stepped up that we’ve put in the lineup. They’ve done a terrific job.”
- Jake Guentzel and Bryan Rust scored, Evgeni Malkin had two assists, and Matt Murray made 29 saves for Pittsburgh (10-6-1), which was 0-7-3 in its previous 10 games against Chicago since a 4-1 home win March 30, 2014.
- Dominik Kubalik and Patrick Kane scored, and Corey Crawford made 29 saves for the Blackhawks (5-7-4), who have lost four of their past six games (2-2-2).
“Pretty good performance, overall,” Chicago coach Jeremy Colliton said. “Disappointing to not get two points because I thought we were in pretty good shape, playing well and with a lead. … We had our chances. I think we had more than enough opportunities to end it, but disappointed in that. I liked our effort. I thought we competed really hard.”
- Guentzel and Jared McCann scored in the shootout for the Penguins.
- Kane scored in the second round, but Murray made the save on Jonathan Toews and Alex DeBrincat.
NHL Highlights | Blackhawks vs. Penguins – Nov. 9, 2019
- Chicago’s 10 straight wins against Pittsburgh was its longest active winning streak against any opponent. …
- Blackhawks defenseman Olli Maatta, who had five hits and one shot on goal in 18:09, faced his former team for the first time since being traded from the Penguins for forward Dominik Kahun on June 15.
- He won the Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh in 2016 and 2017. …
- Kubalik and Koekkoek played for Chicago after each was a healthy scratch in a 5-2 win against the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday. …
- The Penguins did not score on three power plays. They are 0-for-25 with the man-advantage in their past 11 games. …
- Malkin has five points (one goal, four assists) in four games since returning after missing 11 games with a lower-body injury. …
- Pittsburgh has come back from down multiple goals in each of its past three games.
- It took a 4-3 lead after trailing 3-0 to the Boston Bruins before losing 6-4 on Monday.
- The Penguins won 4-3 in overtime against the Islanders on Thursday after entering the third period down 3-0. …
- Kahun had two shots in 13:03 against his former team.
Sources & Credits: Wes Crosby / NHL.com, PIT Penguins, CHI Blackhawks