Greiss Shines as Isles Beat Panthers 2-1
- The New York Islanders extended their point streak to 12 games when Scott Mayfield broke a tie in the third period in a 2-1 win against the Florida Panthers at Barclays Center on Saturday.
- Thomas Greiss made 37 saves, and Mathew Barzal also scored and had an assist for New York (12-3-1), which is 11-0-1 in its past 12 games.
- Aleksander Barkov extended his goal streak to four games, and Sergei Bobrovsky made 34 saves for Florida (7-4-5), which had one regulation loss in its previous 10 (6-1-3).
- Barkov scored when he swatted a loose puck past Greiss for a power-play goal at 6:12 of the third period to tie it 1-1.
- Mayfield responded for the Islanders 38 seconds later with a centering feed from outside the right circle that went off both Brian Boyle and Anton Stralman before trickling past Bobrovsky to give the Islanders a 2-1 lead at 6:50.
- Barkov had a second tying goal taken away during a Panthers power play with 5:25 remaining when replays concluded his stick was above the crossbar.
- Barzal gave New York a 1-0 lead when he took a pass from Brock Nelson, deked and scored on backhand shot at 5:40 of the first period.
- Greiss, who made 14 saves in the first period, preserved the one-goal lead at 7:21 of the second during a penalty kill when he stretched across his crease to make a right pad save against Barkov.
- It was one of four saves while Jordan Eberle served a slashing penalty.
- Evgenii Dadonov had a chance to at 11:40 of the second, but his wrist shot from point-blank range hit the crossbar.
- Eberle then helped Greiss moments later when he sprawled out in the crease to block Brett Connolly’s shot.
- Casey Cizikas did not play in the third period; he hobbled to the Islanders bench after blocking Aaron Ekblad’s shot at 13:56 of the first.
- Eberle was activated off injured reserve by the Islanders; he missed 10 games because of a lower-body injury.
- Nick Leddy (lower body) also returned after missing three games.
- Vincent Trocheck returned after missing the Panthers’ previous seven games because of a lower-body injury.
NHL Highlights | Panthers vs Islanders – Nov. 9, 2019
Sources & Credits: Brian Compton @BComptonNHL / NHL.com, NY Islanders, FLA Panthers
Please follow and like us: