Tavares, Maple Leafs defeat Golden Knights in OT for Babcock’s 700th win
- John Tavares scored 2:33 into overtime to give the Toronto Maple Leafs a 2-1 win against the Vegas Golden Knights at Scotiabank Arena on Thursday.
- Tavares took a pass from Mitchell Marner and one-timed a shot past Malcolm Subban from the bottom of the right face-off circle.
“We’ve been in a lot of these types of games this year, and it hasn’t always been as fluid and pretty as it can be with our skill and depth,” Tavares said, “but we have to continue to build our game and chip away, and I think we’re starting to see some really good signs and getting results.”
- Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock became the eighth coach in NHL history to reach 700 wins.
- Auston Matthews scored, and Frederik Andersen made 37 saves for Toronto (9-5-3), which has won three in a row for the first time this season.
“He’s been playing and getting better just like each year,” Babcock said of Andersen. “He kind of gets through October each year and then seems to kick it into gear and gets feeling good. He’s an important player for us and a leader for us. We need him to make big saves like he’s been doing.”
- Max Pacioretty scored, and Subban made 35 saves for the Golden Knights (9-5-3), who extended their point streak to five games (2-0-3).
“Subban is a huge reason why we got one point, he made some unbelievable saves,” Pacioretty said. “We’ve had points in a few straight here, but that said, we need to clean up our overtime. It feels like we’re not even getting chances really or even possession of the puck. We have to figure that out.”
- The Golden Knights have lost all three of their games decided in overtime this season.
- Matthews is the fifth player in Maple Leafs history to score 12 goals or more through their first 11 home games in a season.
- He joined Babe Dye (18 in 1920-21; 17 in 1922-23; 16 in 1921-22; 15 in 1924-25), Charlie Conacher (14 in 1933-34), Wendel Clark (12 in 1993-94) and Gaye Stewart (12 in 1942-43). …
- Babcock passed Jacques Martin for 12th on the games-coached list (1,295). …
- Vegas was 0-for-5 on the power play.
Sources & Credits: Dave McCarthy / NHL.com, TOR Maple Leafs, VGK