Flames score four straight goals to pull away from Devils
- Defenseman Noah Hanifin had a goal and two assists for the Calgary Flames in a 5-2 win against the New Jersey Devils at Scotiabank Saddledome on Thursday.
- Johnny Gaudreau, Sean Monahan and Mikael Backlund each had a goal and an assist, and David Rittich made 21 saves for the Flames (10-7-2), who have won four of their past five and are 6-1-1 at home.
- Derek Ryan pulled off a sensational goal when he walked through the New Jersey Devils’ defence and deked MacKenzie Blackwood for a highlight reel goal.
“That was the identity we’ve got to play to,” Hanifin said. “We kept it simple, we got pucks in deep, and we forechecked well tonight, which is why I thought we had a lot of offensive chances.”
- Jack Hughes had a goal and an assist, and Nikita Gusev scored for the Devils (4-6-4), who lost for the first time in three games and are 4-2-2 in their past eight games.
- Mackenzie Blackwood made 33 saves.
“Tonight, we didn’t play our system and game plan the way we wanted to,” forward Taylor Hall said. “Probably the last seven games or so we’ve been playing very well. Tonight wasn’t a step in the right direction, so we have to right the ship a little bit.”
- Calgary scored three straight goals in the second period to take a 4-2 lead.
- The Devils allowed a season-high 38 shots. …
- Flames forward Elias Lindholm had an assist on Gaudreau’s goal to extend his point streak to nine games (five goals, six assists). …
- Hall has nine points (one goal, eight assists) during a seven-game point streak. …
- Rittich leads the NHL with 443 saves, 56 more than Marc-Andre Fleury of the Vegas Golden Knights, who is second with 387. …
- Flames forward Milan Lucic was minus-1 with four shots on goal and three hits in 13:47 in his return from a two-game suspension for roughing Columbus Blue Jackets forward Kole Sherwood during a 3-0 win Saturday.
Sources & Credits: Aaron Vickers / NHL.com, CAL Flames, NJ Devils