Devils top Jets in shootout, get second straight road victory
- The New Jersey Devils extended their point streak to four games with a 2-1 shootout win against the Winnipeg Jets at Bell MTS Place on Tuesday.
- Nico Hischier scored, and Mackenzie Blackwood made 32 saves for the Devils (4-5-4), who are 2-0-2 in their past four games and have begun a five-game road trip with their first two road wins of the season (2-3-0).
- They defeated the Carolina Hurricanes 5-3 on Saturday.
“I think we knew in the locker room if we keep playing the way we can play we’ll get those wins, and now they’re coming,” Hischier said. “It’s a big one on the road for us, but we’ve got a couple more road games ahead, so we’ve got to come out the same way like we did in the first period today.”
- Andrew Copp scored, and Connor Hellebuyck made 31 saves for the Jets (8-7-1).
“I feel we hold ourselves to a pretty high standard and didn’t play all the way up to that,” Copp said. “It’s not like we were off by a lot. We did some good things. Obviously played pretty well defensively. [Hellebuyck] was great again. Some good things, but we’ve got to keep building.”
- Devils forward Taylor Hall had an assist to extend his point streak to six games (eight points; one goal, seven assists). …
- Hischier extended his point streak to four games (five points; two goals, three assists). …
- Jets defenseman Nathan Beaulieu made his season debut, finishing with three hits in 18:46.
- Bryan Little was in obvious pain after taking a slapshot straight to the head.
- He was bloodied on the play but was able to skate off under his own power.
Sources & Credits: Darrin Bauming / NHL.com, NJ Devils, WIN Jets