Red Wings GM Steve Yzerman makes prospect sweat with pot-smoking questions at pre-draft interview
- Steve Yzerman, the Detroit Red Wings’ buttoned-up general manager, showed his impish side last summer when he pulled a prank on highly regarded prospect Kirby Dach.
- The Chicago Blackhawks forward appeared on the recent “Spittin Chiclets” podcast and told hosts Paul Bissonnette and Ryan Whitney that Yzerman grilled him much harder than anyone else in a pre-draft interview.
“I sit down and say, ‘Nice to meet you.’ He’s a hockey legend and I’m trying to be respectful,” Dach said on the podcast. “He says, ‘I hear you smoke weed.’”
- Here is how Dach, 18, laid out how the rest of the interview went:
“I said, ‘No, I really don’t.’
“He says, ‘OK,’ and the questions go on.
“And then he says, ‘So are you sure you don’t smoke any pot? I had a couple of teammates who said you smoke weed.’
“I said, ‘No, I don’t really smoke any weed.’
“He said, ‘Are you sure?’
“I said, ‘Ya, I’m sure.’
“(Yzerman’s) like an intimidating guy. He’s very intense and he’s in your face and I’m sitting there and I’m starting to sweat,” Dach said on the podcast. “I’m thinking I’m going to have to change my shirt after this for the next interview.”
- Eventually, Yzerman, who was drafted by Detroit in 1983 and played there for 22 seasons, said:
“Ya, I know you don’t. I was just (joking around) with you.”
- The Red Wings, picking sixth, were interested in big-center Dach but he went third to the Blackhawks.
- Instead, they selected defenseman Morris Seider. It’s difficult to imagine what Yzerman asked him in his interview.
Sources & Credits: Kevin Allen, USA TODAY