Duchene propels Predators in win against Red Wings
- Matt Duchene scored twice during a five-goal second period for the Nashville Predators, who opened a four-game road trip with a 6-1 win against the Detroit Red Wings at Little Caesars Arena on Monday.
“Hockey is a really fickle game,” Duchene said. “We could have scored just as many goals on Saturday (a 2-1 loss to the New York Rangers), but we ran into a hot goaltender. Today, we get a couple fluky goals and get rewarded for a solid effort. That’s the way we need to play every game.”
- Filip Forsberg had a goal and an assist for Nashville (9-4-2), which has won five of its past seven games.
- Pekka Rinne made 23 saves; he is 8-0-2 in 10 starts this season.
“This was a really good effort,” Forsberg said. “I thought we were a little slow in the first period, but we obviously turned it on in the second period. This is a great way to start the trip.”
- Roman Josi had two assists for the Predators, who defeated the Red Wings for the second time in 12 games (2-8-2).
- Detroit won 5-3 at Nashville on Oct. 5.
“We haven’t beaten Detroit in a long time, especially here, so that’s huge,” Josi said.
- Andreas Athanasiou scored for Detroit (4-11-1), which is 1-10-1 and has been outscored 52-21 in its past 12 games, including 17-4 in three straight losses.
- Jimmy Howard allowed four goals on 15 shots before being pulled for the second straight start. Jonathan Bernier made nine saves in relief.
“I think confidence is the issue right now,” Red Wings forward Dylan Larkin said. “We’ve got a great group of guys in here, but we’ve got to find something to grab onto and get our confidence back. We’ve got to keep battling for each other and our fans.”
- Rinne, who turned 37 on Sunday, extended his Predators record of starts from the beginning of a season with his team getting at least one point (10).
- He also had an assist on Sissons’ goal, his second of the season. …
- Red Wings center Valtteri Filppula got his 500th NHL point with an assist on Athanasiou’s goal.
Sources & Credits: Dave Hogg / NHL.com, NSH Predators, DET Red Wings
NHL Highlights | Predators vs. Red Wings – Nov. 4, 2019
#Preds forward Matt Duchene tried to keep his composure as his teammates were doing everything they could to make him laugh while talking with @LyndsayRowley postgame. This was fun to watch! pic.twitter.com/JZvT8og106
— FOX Sports Tennessee (@PredsOnFSTN) November 5, 2019