Coyotes rebound, defeat Oilers on Stepan OT goal
- Derek Stepan scored at 2:01 of overtime to give the Arizona Coyotes a 3-2 win against the Edmonton Oilers at Rogers Place on Monday.
- Stepan wristed a shot from the left face-off circle after receiving a pass from Nick Schmaltz on a 2-on-1 rush.
- Michael Grabner and Carl Soderberg scored, and goalie Darcy Kuemper made 26 saves for Arizona (9-4-1), which has won two straight games, four of its past five and eight of 10.
- After losing defenseman Jordan Oesterle to an undisclosed injury at 9:11 of the third period after he was hit by Zack Kassian, the Coyotes allowed the Oilers to tie the game with 4:41 remaining.
“It’s a big part of the NHL, when you get up a goal and you go into the third period not to sit back on your heels, and anytime you lose a defenseman, it makes it more difficult to get on your toes,” Stepan said. “There is a little bit of a survival, a little bit of rope-a-dope, and that’s part of it. Some nights, you just have to do it that way and find a way to get it into overtime and try to make a play.”
- Connor McDavid and Gaetan Haas scored for Edmonton (10-4-2), which lost for the first time in three games.
- Mikko Koskinen made 21 saves.
“We weren’t great for the first half of the game,” McDavid said. “In the second half, we found our rhythm, played fast, played with a little energy and got pucks to the net. I thought we were pretty good.”
- Kuemper has allowed two goals or fewer in nine of his first 10 games this season, tying Zac Bierk (2002-2003), Sean Burke (2000-01) and Nikolai Khabibulin (1998-99) for most in Coyotes/Winnipeg Jets history. …
- Draisaitl had his goal streak end at five games, but he extended his point streak to six games with the assist on McDavid’s goal (seven goals, four assists).
- Draisaitl has at least one point in 14 of Edmonton’s first 16 games. …
- The Oilers lost for the first time this season when scoring the first goal (5-0-1).
Sources & Credits: Derek Van Diest / NHL.com, ARI Coyotes, EDM Oilers
NHL Highlights | Coyotes vs. Oilers – Nov. 4, 2019