Kane’s OT goal gets Blackhawks past Ducks, spoils Getzlaf’s milestone
- Patrick Kane scored 24 seconds into overtime to give the Chicago Blackhawks a 3-2 win against the Anaheim Ducks at Honda Center on Sunday.
- Kane also had an assist, Adam Boqvist scored his first NHL goal and Robin Lehner made 36 saves for Chicago (4-6-3), which was 1-4-2 in its previous seven games. Jonathan Toews had two assists.
- The Blackhawks lost 4-3 in overtime at the Los Angeles Kings on Saturday.
“It’s always nice to score, nice to score in overtime, nice for the team to get a win,” Kane said. “Three out of four points in this California swing so far, it’s a good start.”
- Erik Gudbranson scored his first goal with the Ducks, Nick Ritchie also scored and Ryan Miller made 34 saves for Anaheim (9-6-1), which trailed 2-0 after the first period. Sam Steel had two assists.
- Ryan Getzlaf played his 1,000th NHL game, all with the Ducks, and had an assist on Gudbranson’s goal to stretch his point streak to five games (four goals, two assists).
“It has probably been a great privilege for everyone around here watching that young man grow up,” Anaheim coach Dallas Eakins said of Getzlaf. “To play 1,000 games in one jersey is a very hard thing to do and we are all very, very proud of his accomplishment.”
- The Blackhawks won the opening face-off in overtime, and Toews brought the puck down the right side before sliding a pass to Kane for a one-timer.
“They have a habit of that,” Chicago coach Jeremy Colliton said of Toews and Kane. “That’s why you put them out there together, because they find a way. It was a big goal for the team.”
- Anaheim entered the game 30th in the NHL in power-play efficiency (8.3 percent) and was 0-for-3 before Ritchie scored with the man-advantage to tie it 2-2 at 6:17 of the third period.
- With his 33rd career game-winning goal on the road, Kane passed Stan Mikita for the second-most in Blackhawks history; Bobby Hull has 39. …
- Chicago killed 16 consecutive power plays prior to Ritchie’s goal. …
- Getzlaf is the first to play in all 1,000 career games with Anaheim. …
- The Ducks are 6-1-1 at home.
Sources & Credits: Dan Arritt / NHL.com, CHI Blackhawks, ANA Ducks