Aho has two goals, assist, Hurricanes defeat Red Wings
- Sebastian Aho had two goals and an assist for the Carolina Hurricanes in a 7-3 win against the Detroit Red Wings at PNC Arena on Friday.
- Andrei Svechnikov scored his fifth goal in the past three games, and Dougie Hamilton and Jaccob Slavin each had three assists for the Hurricanes (9-3-1), who have won three in a row.
- Petr Mrazek made 29 saves for his 15th straight home win, which includes the 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs.
“From the coaching aspect, it was kind of loosely played, but it’s also good to know we can win games like that,” Hurricanes coach Rod Brind’Amour said. “It goes up and down, a little bit of a track meet but we were able to put enough in.”
- Anthony Mantha had two goals and Andreas Athanasiou had two assists for the Red Wings (4-9-1), who are 1-8-1 in their past 10 games.
- Jimmy Howard allowed five goals on 21 shots and was pulled in the second period. Jonathan Bernier made 11 saves in relief.
“They’re very, very aggressive, so if you can get pucks behind them, you’re going to get chances,” Red Wings coach Jeff Blashill said. “But we weren’t good enough defensively. We had too many individual errors and we weren’t hard enough around our net.”
- Mantha has six goals in eight games against Carolina. …
- Forward Brendan Perlini had three shots in 13:46 in his Red Wings debut. …
- Athanasiou had a minus-4 rating …
- Slavin had his 100th NHL assist. …
- Hamilton’s point streak reached a NHL career-best six games (two goals, six assists). …
- Aho has eight points (four goals, four assists) in the past seven games after scoring one goal in the first six.
- Jessica McDonald, of the National Women’s Soccer League champion North Carolina Courage, helped the Carolina Hurricanes celebrate their victory
Sources & Credits: Kurt Dusterberg / NHL.com, CAR Hurricanes, DET Red Wings