Jack Hughes Takes Big Hit, Kyle Palmieri Drops Gloves With Matt Niskanen
- Couturier, Flyers defeat Devils for first win in three games
- Sean Couturier had a goal and an assist then scored the only goal in the shootout when the Philadelphia Flyers defeated New Jersey Devils 4-3 at Prudential Center on Friday.
- Oskar Lindblom also had a goal and an assist, and Joel Farabee scored his first NHL goal for the Flyers (6-5-1), who won for the first time in three games. Carter Hart made 23 saves.
- Couturier’s shootout goal off a one-handed backhand conjured memories of former NHL forward Peter Forsberg in the championship game for Sweden against Canada at the Lillehammer Winter Olympics on Feb. 28, 1994.
“Everyone has seen the [Forsberg] goal and we have a lot of fun at the end of practice doing shootouts, and that’s one move I never tried in a game so maybe I caught him off guard,” Couturier said. “I did that in practice before but never in a game.”
Hart said, “He’s done it a couple times on me and it can be a tough move because he’s a big guy, has a long reach, so once he gets to the one side he can kind of pull you over with one hand and it could be kind of tough. He changed up his breakaway moves, and he’s been working hard in practice and he burnt me a couple times so it was nice to see him do it tonight.”
- Taylor Hall had a goal and an assist, Wayne Simmonds and Sami Vatanen scored, and Mackenzie Blackwood made 28 saves for the Devils (2-5-4).
- New Jersey is winless in three straight (0-1-2). Kyle Palmieri had two assists for the Devils.
“We work on breakaways every day and like to compete with the guys and have a little fun with it,” Hart said. “That’s kind of the mindset you go into the shootout with … go out and make some saves.”
- The Devils acquired goalie Louis Domingue from the Tampa Bay Lightning for a conditional seventh-round pick in the 2021 NHL Draft. …
- Konecny has seven points (three goals, four assists) in his past seven games. …
- Hall has one goal and five assists during a four-game point streak. …
- Hughes has six points (two goals, four assists) in his past five games. …
- Vatanen has five points (three goals, two assists) in a four-game point streak.
Sources & Credits: Mike G. Morreale / NHL.com, PHI Flyers, NJ Devils