Hellebuyck makes 51 saves, Ehlers scores late to help Jets top Sharks
- Connor Hellebuyck made 51 saves, and Nikolaj Ehlers broke a tie with 1:24 remaining in the third period to give the Winnipeg Jets a 3-2 win against the San Jose Sharks at SAP Center on Friday.
- Gabriel Bourque and Blake Wheeler also scored for Winnipeg (7-7-0), which was outshot 53-19.
“There was a stretch there where I was praying a little, but the guys were great about letting me see things,” said Hellebuyck, who set an NHL career-high in saves. “This is the result of the pucks going my way.”
- Barclay Goodrow and Tomas Hertl scored for San Jose (4-9-1), which opened a six-game homestand with a fourth straight loss.
- Martin Jones made 16 saves.
“We let them hang around, and it’s those one or two mistakes you make that come back to haunt you,” Sharks forward Evander Kane said. “And that’s what happened tonight.”
- Ehlers has four goals and two assists for six points in his past four games. …
- Jets forward CJ Suess played 6:26 in his NHL debut. …
- The Sharks’ 28 shots on goal in the second was one shy of their record in a single period (29 against the Florida Panthers on March 18, 2014). …
- Hertl has 12 points (four goals, eight assists) in his past nine games; Kane has 11 points (seven goals, four assists) in his past 11.
Sources & Credits: Ross McKeon / NHL.com, WIN Jets, SJ Sharks