Maple Leafs loan forward Nic Petan to AHL’s Marlies
- The Toronto Maple Leafs have loaned forward Nic Petan to their AHL affiliate, the Toronto Marlies, the team announced Friday morning.
- Petan, 24, has appeared in four games this season with the Maple Leafs, registering one assist.
- Nic Petan, who the Leafs are open to trading to a team that has a playing roster spot he could fill, cleared waivers on October 1, was sent to the AHL, and was recalled to the Leafs on October 3 (per Cap Friendly).
- That means his 29 days of waiver exemption is about to expire.
- That is likely the biggest motivation behind the move.
- The Marlies are on the road this weekend, but tonight’s game is in Belleville, and that barely counts as a trip.
- Tomorrow’s game is in Laval, and then they have to go to Rockford, Illinois for Wednesday’s game against the IceHogs.
- If Petan draws into the lineup, and Sheldon Keefe would surely want a winger of his calibre, he can audition for whatever teams are interested in adding him to the roster, and he wouldn’t have to clear waivers to be sent to a new team’s AHL franchise.
- That might not be ideal from Petan’s point of view, but it will make him easier to move.
- Waiver claim order changes today to the reverse of this year’s standings, so the teams now with the best claims are the worst teams right now.
- Which means the top three change from Ottawa, LA, New Jersey to Ottawa, New Jersey and LA. Okay, maybe that doesn’t matter much.
- With this move, the Leafs still have to cut enough players to make cap space for Zach Hyman when he’s ready to come back.
Sources & Credits: Toronto Maple Leafs, KatyaKnappe, Pension Plan Puppet
Please follow and like us: