Lightning come from behind to defeat Devils in OT
- Tyler Johnson scored 1:16 into overtime, and the Tampa Bay Lightning rallied for a 7-6 win against the New Jersey Devils at Prudential Center on Wednesday.
- Johnson scored on a wrist shot from the right face-off circle after taking a pass from Ondrej Palat.
“Ryan McDonagh and Palat made tremendous plays (on the winner),” Johnson said. “I kind of got lost in the slot, and everyone was just kind of down and out, and Ondrej made a great play to me. I was just able to put it in.”
- Palat had two goals and an assist, Brayden Point and Johnson each had a goal and two assists, and Anthony Cirelli and Mathieu Joseph each had a goal and an assist for the Lightning (6-4-2), who trailed 5-3 early in the third period. Curtis McElhinney made 36 saves.
“When Ondrej has confidence, has the puck, and plays big, he’s my favorite player,” Johnson said. “I love playing with him and watching him play. He’s probably been our best player this season.”
- Kyle Palmieri had a hat trick, Jesper Bratt scored twice, and Cory Schneider made 16 saves for the Devils (2-5-3).
“I’m probably not going to say a whole lot,” Schneider said. “My teammates played well enough to win, and we deserved to win that game. We scored six goals and should win going away. The difference tonight was in net, so the game speaks for itself.”
- Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman (lower body) and forward Pat Maroon (upper body), who were injured in the game against New York on Tuesday, were placed on injured reserve. …
- Shattenkirk had two assists in 21:06 of ice time. …
- Devils forward Wayne Simmonds had three assists and five shots in 18:13. …
- New Jersey defenseman Andy Greene had two assists and three blocked shots on his 37th birthday. …
- Palmieri’s hat trick was his first as a member of the Devils and the second of his NHL career.
- He had one for the Anaheim Ducks in a 5-1 win against the Nashville Predators on Feb. 27, 2013.
Sources & Credits: Mike G. Morreale / NHL.com , TB Lightning, NJ Devils