Ellis, Predators rally past Lightning in OT
- Ryan Ellis scored with 1:45 remaining in overtime to give the Nashville Predators a 3-2 win against the Tampa Bay Lightning at Amalie Arena on Saturday.
- Four seconds after the Lightning killed a penalty for too many men on the ice, Roman Josi got the puck following a turnover by Braydon Coburn and passed to Ellis, who scored from the top of the left face-off circle at 4-on-4.
“He’s been playing great,” Josi said of Ellis. “Obviously, the goal was a huge one tonight, but other things that maybe people don’t see, the little plays he makes back there. The way he creates space for me too. He’s unbelievable. I love playing with him.”
- Josi had a goal and two assists, Calle Jarnkrok had a goal and an assist, and Ryan Johansen had two assists for Nashville (7-3-1), which has won three straight games. Juuse Saros made 28 saves for his first win of the season.
“Of course it’s a big thing, every year you want to get it out of the way as fast as you can,” Saros said. “It took awhile, but it’s part of this sport. You have to handle different situations. It was nice to get the win tonight. I think everybody just battled really hard. That’s the way you’ve got to play on the road sometimes.”
- Steven Stamkos and Tyler Johnson scored, and Curtis McElhinney made 37 saves for Tampa Bay (5-3-2), which went 1-1-1 on a three-game homestand.
“It’s a tough loss, for sure,” McElhinney said. “The effort was there on everyone’s part. We played a really good game, so it’s disappointing.”
- Nashville is outscoring its opponents 24-11 in the third period. …
- Stamkos’ goal was his 398th in the NHL. …
- Josi has 12 points (five goals, seven assists) in the past nine games. …
- Ellis has 10 points (one goal, nine assists) in the past seven games. …
- Lightning forward Nikita Kucherov had an assist but has not scored in the past six games. …
- The Predators are 5-0-1 in their past six games at Amalie Arena.
Sources & Credits: Corey Long / NHL.com, Nashville Predators, Tampa Bay Lightning
Extended highlights of the Nashville Predators at the Tampa Bay Lightning
“We’ve kinda struggled in front of [Saros]…it was about time we put a full 60 minutes in front of him. Tonight he made some great saves…”#Preds defenseman Ryan Ellis chats Saros, tonight’s game-winning goal and more with @KaraHammer downstairs postgame! WATCH: pic.twitter.com/LdoSFrgkny
— FOX Sports Tennessee (@PredsOnFSTN) October 27, 2019