The Nashville Predators are off to an historic start on offense
- In case you missed it, the Nashville Predators have been crushing it when it comes to goal scoring.
- Currently sitting at #1 in the NHL in goal scoring, the Preds are putting up 4.2 goals per game through nine games.
- Right now, they are getting goals from every forward line and most of their blueline, something that they struggled to do most of last season.
- Their two leading goal scorers from last year, Filip Forsberg and Viktor Arvidsson, are again leading the team in goals with five each, but it’s not like they are cruising early on.
- Forsberg has been battling a lower body injury and has missed three games.
- Arvidsson has also been shooting the puck a lot less this season.
- It’s the Predators balance on offense that’s been truly impressive so far.
- They’ve had 15 different goal scorers so far, with 11 of those players having scored more than one goal.
- They also have 17 different players with at least one point, including goaltender Pekka Rinne.
- The production is coming from Predators you’d expect, as well as ones you wouldn’t expect.
- Newcomer Matt Duchene has two goals and nine assists so far, proving he’s worth the $56 million contract he signed this past summer.
- Roman Josi has four goals and five assists, hoping to prove he’s worth a new contract from David Poile (any day now?).
- But it’s also coming from guys like Colton Sissons, Nick Bonino, and Mattias Ekholm.
- These four players are not known for goal scoring usually, but they all have three goals so far.
- With 38 goals in nine games, the Predators offense is virtually unstoppable right now.
- But how does it compare to previous years?
Best offense in Preds history?
- In short, yes, this is the best offense in Preds history, at least so far.
- But how much better is it?
- Here’s a look at the highest scoring Preds teams through their first nine games.
- This offense has been better than the Preds’ two best offensive seasons (2005-06 and 2006-07) by a rather wide margin.
- That’s impressive.
- It’s also been better than any other Laviolette coached team, which have been some of the best offensive teams in franchise history.
- One other stat that I thought was interesting.
- The Preds have six games with 4+ goals so far.
- The Preds’ record for most 4+ goal games in the month of October is seven, set last year.
- The Preds have four more games to try and beat that record, starting tonight against the Minnesota Wild, who the Preds already beat 5-2 on opening night.
- Of course, what’s truly bizarre is that with this incredible offense, the Preds are still only 5-3-1 on the season.
- Their defense and goaltending has been inconsistent at best.
- If the Preds are going to use this offense to continue to build on this record breaking season, they better start solidifying the back end at the same time.
Sources & Credits: Alex Daugherty, atozsportsnashville.com
Please follow and like us: