Hurricanes Acquire Edmundson, Bokk From Blues in Exchange for Faulk
- Don Waddell, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has acquired defenseman Joel Edmundson, forward Dominik Bokk and the Blues’ seventh-round selection in the 2021 NHL Draft from the St. Louis Blues in exchange for defenseman Justin Faulk and Carolina’s fifth-round selection in the 2020 NHL Draft.
“Joel is a big, physical presence on defense, who knows what it takes to win a championship,” said Waddell. “Dominik was a first-round pick who has a real chance to be an impact player on the NHL level.
“We’d like to thank Justin for both his on-ice and off-ice contributions during his time with the Hurricanes. He was a great teammate and made a significant impact on the community, and we wish him all the best moving forward.”
- Edmundson, 26, totaled 11 points (2g, 9a) and led all Blues players with 68 penalty minutes in 64 games during the 2018-19 regular season.
- The 6’4″, 215-pound defenseman ranked fourth among Blues blueliners in plus/minus (+8) and averaged more than two minutes per game in shorthanded ice time, helping St. Louis’ penalty kill rank ninth in the NHL for the season.
- Bokk, 19, is currently in his third Swedish Hockey League (SHL) season, after totaling 23 points (8g, 15a) in 47 games for the Vaxjo Lakers in 2018-19.
- The Schweinfurt, Germany, native led all skaters in scoring with eight points (1g, 7a) in five games at the 2019 IIHF Division 1 World Junior Championship, helping Germany win the tournament to earn promotion to the top division. Bokk (6’2″, 182 lbs.) was selected by the Blues in the first round, 25th overall, at the 2018 NHL Draft.
- After the trade, the Blues signed Faulk to a seven-year contract extension worth $45.5 million (annual average value of $6.5 million).
“We are excited to add Justin to our core group for the next eight years,” Blues General Manager Doug Armstrong said. “He’s a Top-4 defenseman who averages over 23 minutes a game and we are confident he will be a strong addition to our club.”
- Faulk, 27, registered 258 points (85g, 173a) in 559 career NHL games with the Hurricanes, posting more career goals and points than any other defenseman in franchise history.
- The 5’11”, 217-pound blueliner tallied 35 points (11g, 24a) in 82 NHL games during the 2018-19 regular season, and added eight points (1g, 7a) in 15 NHL playoff games as Carolina advanced to the 2019 Eastern Conference Final.
Source & Credit: NHL, Carolina Hurricanes, St. Louis Blues