Report: Canadiens looking to trade a forward
- The Montreal Canadiens are interested in shopping a forward, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports in his latest edition of 31 Thoughts.
This will come as no surprise to anyone who follows the Canadiens, but they are looking to move a forward. Nick Suzuki is pushing. Even though he was sent Monday night to AHL Laval, Jake Evans is too. Hopefully Ryan Poehling makes a quick and complete recovery, but even with his injury, they have extra bodies. Jonathan Drouin played 11:57 in Monday’s 3-0 loss Toronto, lowest among all skaters. Already, this is something to keep an eye on.
- The Canadiens training camp has been very competitive, with offensive prospects Nick Suzuki and Ryan Poehling showing serious NHL potential.
- Six Montreal forwards are playing on an expiring contract this season.
- Max Domi, Nick Cousins, and Charles Hudon are set to become restricted free agents next summer, and Dale Weise, Matthew Peca, and Nate Thompson will be unrestricted free agents.
- General manager Marc Bergevin said he made an offer to Jake Gardiner before the defenseman signed with the Carolina Hurricanes.
- The club has also reportedly been linked to Dallas Stars blue-liner Julius Honka in trade talks.
- The Canadiens hold $4.04 million in projected cap space, but they’re two players over the 23-man active roster limit and need to make a pair of transactions before the regular season begins to become compliant, according to CapFriendly.
Sources & Credits: Elliotte Friedman, The Score, Matt Teague