Kapanen makes a bold statement on Nylander that is raising some eyebrows around the hockey world
- William Nylander took a lot of flack last season after missing time at the beginning of the year while his contract extension was worked out.
- Fast forward one year later, and their are still a number of RFAs following in his footsteps and holding out, now all the way into training camp and the preseason.
- It also didn’t help that when he did come back he only managed to record seven goals and 27 points in 54 games – certainly not quite what fans were hoping for after seeing the terms of his contract.
- Maybe the pressure of the shadow left behind by his holdout got to him – teammate and fellow Scandinavian Kasperi Kapanen certainly thinks that’s the case.
- When asked about Nylander’s abilities on the ice, he had some pretty high praise.
“I think he’s going to go down as one of the **better** Swedish players to ever play.”
- That’s a pretty bold statement considering Sweden has been one of the most consistent sources of hockey talent.
- Names like Peter Forsberg, Nicklas Lidstrom, Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Mats Sundin, Erik Karlsson, Daniel Alfredsson, Markus Naslund, Victor Hedman, Nicklas Backstrom, and Borje Salming belong to that group.
- While the quote says one of the “better” and not the “best”, Kapanen is clearly expecting big things out of his teammate.
- Leafs fans certainly hope so.
Source: Chris Johnston; Credit: Bardown
Leaf to Leaf: William Nylander
Please follow and like us: