Flyers, Ivan Provorov agree to 6-year contract
- It is finally over.
- Well, one at least.
- On the night before 2019 training camp, Ivan Provorov and the Flyers agreed to a six-year contract with an average annual value of $6.75 million,
- TSN’s Bob McKenzie and Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman first reported the deal.
- Provorov, a restricted free agent, had remained unsigned all offseason.
- Travis Konecny is the team’s lone remaining RFA.
- Provorov’s agent Mark Gandler did well earning his client just shy of a $7 million AAV.
- Blue Jackets defenseman Zach Werenski, a player comparable to Provorov, signed a three-year, $15 million ($5 million AAV) contract on Monday.
- Werenski is 22 years old, was drafted eighth overall in 2015 and is coming off a 44-point season.
- Provorov is also 22 years old, was drafted seventh overall in 2015 and is coming off a 26-point season.
- However, Provorov has not missed a game throughout his three-year NHL career, has been tasked with No. 1 defenseman responsibilities and delivered in 2017-18, putting up 17 goals, 41 points and a plus-17 mark.
- Among all NHL defensemen over the past two seasons, Provorov has played the 11th-most minutes per game (24:38), the ninth-most shorthanded minutes (449:51) and has scored the 18th-most goals (24).
- It seemed Provorov’s camp did not want to go the bridge route and understandably so when you look at the durability above.
- There’s also no reason to think Provorov won’t be better in 2019-20 and only improve over the course of the contract.
- Look at Sean Couturier for example.
- He came into the league at 19 years old and had his breakout season in Year 7 at 25 years old.
- Provorov, an expected pillar to the Flyers’ defense, is now locked up through the 2024-25 season.
- He will be the highest-paid Flyers blueliner, ahead of Matt Niskanen ($5.75 million) and Shayne Gostisbehere ($4.5 million).
- Provorov will be 28 years old at the end of his contract.
Flyers Mic’d Up: Ivan Provorov
Top Moments: Ivan Provorov Season in Review
Please follow and like us: