Report: Lightning, Point not close to new deal
- Negotiations between the Tampa Bay Lightning and restricted free-agent forward Brayden Point reportedly remain at an impasse.
- The two sides are not close to a new contract with training camp set to begin Sept.12, according to The Athletic’s Joe Smith.
- Also, according to Pierre Lebrun, Point had a hip procedure done after the season but all is well.
- The 23-year-old broke out last season – the last on his entry-level contract – setting career highs with 42 goals and 51 assists for 92 points in 79 contests.
- Point was also a vital piece of the Lightning’s juggernaut power play, leading the NHL with 20 goals on the man advantage.
- Since being selected by Tampa Bay in the third round at the 2013 draft, Point has tallied 91 goals and 198 points in 227 contests.
- The Alberta native is one of the many blue-chip talents who remain unsigned across the NHL.
Please follow and like us: