Fans should not expect Braden Holtby to take a hometown discount on his next contract
- Braden Holtby is entering the final year of his current deal and should be due a substantial raise…
- One the Caps will likely be unable to afford.
- There are many Holtby fans out there who seem to think a hometown discount is all but guaranteed.
- To think he is going to take a massive discount and leave several million dollars per year on the table seems unrealistic.
- Here why fans should not simply assume Holtby is going to be taking a massive hometown discount. with Washington.
- Think Holtby doesn’t care about his contract? Well, he did in 2015.
- He filed for arbitration when he and the team remained far apart in contract negotiations
- The process went so far that Holtby and the team actually had his arbitration hearing before finally reaching an agreement before the arbitrator made his ruling.
- Holtby had to scratch and claw to get a five-year contract worth $30.5 million for a $6.1 million cap hit.
- Since then, Holtby has won a Vezina Trophy, a William M. Jennings Trophy and a Stanley Cup.
- A good comparable would be Sergei Bobrovski
- Bobrovsky just signed a seven-year, $70 million contract in July with the Florida Panthers and it just so happens that he is the perfect comparable to Holtby.
- Holtby will be 30 when his contract expires, the same age Bobrovsky is now.
- Here’s a look at how they compare statistically:
Bobrovsky: 2.46 GAA, .919 save percentage, 33 shutouts, two Vezina Trophies
Holtby: 2.47 GAA, .918 save percentage, 35 shutouts, one Vezina Trophy
- That’s pretty close…until you look at their playoff numbers.
Bobrovsky: 11-18 record, 3.14 GAA, .902 save percentage, no shutouts
Holtby: 48-41 record, 2.09 GAA, .928 save percentage, seven shutouts, one Stanley Cup
- If anything, Holtby is worth more than Bobrovsky.
- Holtby is one of the best goalies in the world and will arguably be the best goalie on the market in 2020.
- You may think paying $10 million a year for a goalie is crazy.
- Yet, a 30-year-old goalie with similar stats and no Cup just got paid that and he also got a no-movement clause.
- Why would anyone assume Holtby would ask for less than that?
Top 10 Braden Holtby saves from 2018-19
Braden Holtby’s All Access Pre-Game Preparation