Top 10 Nikita Kucherov plays from 2018-19
- Nikita Kucherov has been sitting at the top of the NHL in points for the past two years.
- But is he the best player in the league?
- He might not be the best player all around, but he’s most certainly the best winger out there.
- One does not necessarily mean the other.
- Kucherov has scored 128 points last season.
- That’s the most since 1995-1996 when Mario Lemieux led the league with 161.
- Kucherov’s total surpasses Joe Thornton’s salary cap era record of 125 set in 2005-2006 and is the first 120 point season since Sidney Crosby in 2006-2007.
- He’s scoring like we haven’t seen in over two decades.
- And if we look at his scoring in terms of points per minute played instead of raw totals, his numbers get outright absurd.
- By that measure, he’s setting a new record among players who played a full season for as long as we have data, which is back to 1998-1999.
“Do I believe he is one of the best, if not the best player on the planet right now?” the Lightning coach said. “I truly do believe that.”
Steven Stamkos agrees with Cooper’s assessment, allowing that he is obviously biased.
Connor McDavid (“what he’s able to do is pretty remarkable”) and Sidney Crosby (“It’s about wins in this league and he’s found ways to not only win but dominate”). But as far as right now, this season, Stamkos names Kucherov the best.
“Not everyone is blessed with the ability to do what he can do with the puck, plain and simple,” Stamkos said. “I wish I could handle the puck and see the ice like he can. I’m sure a lot of players would.”
Nikita Kucherov 2018-19 Season Highlights | Art Ross, Ted Lindsay & Hart Trophy Winner