Eric Lindros wished William Nylander a great season after Nylander switched his number to 88
— Eric Lindros (@88EricLindros) July 17, 2019
- Those still looking for a reason to be Mad Online In July over William Nylander’s switch from No. 29 to No. 88 just took a big blow to their fake outrage campaign.
- Eric Lindros himself — the “real” No. 88, the Big E — took to Twitter on Wednesday to politely let everyone know that the big-time Maple Leafs legend who played a whopping 33 games in the Blue and White like 13 years ago does not care about any of this in the slightest.
- Essentially there was a small but vocal chunk of Leafs Twitter fans that was outraged a little soft Swede like Willy Nylander actually had the audacity to switch his number from 29 to 88 — famously worn by Lindros who was not soft nor a Swede or a Nylander.
- Lindros spent one season in Toronto and recorded 22 points in 33 games.
- It was his second-last season in the National Hockey League and now his number belongs to a player hoping to bounce back from a 27-point season.
Making the switch … what’s old is new again #88
I’ve got you covered Leafs Nation, go to @realsportstoronto to have your jersey recrested on me. pic.twitter.com/gQWHZVxQMo
— William Nylander (@wmnylander) July 15, 2019
Clean slate and classy move Willy . Put in the work and shut up the haters, last year is done so make that contract look good for you and the #leafs
— Leo Capstick (@LeoGetzSTFX) July 15, 2019
Who cares what number – just try not to give us another season of the overpaid sweet boy like last year ! Maybe show up not to just skate around and wait for passes and hide from checks 😡
— Andrea Schiller (@Schillea8) July 16, 2019
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) July 15, 2019
Will this number make you work for that 7 million a season?
— Crusty old Bastard (@CrustyoldVet) July 15, 2019