Duchene expected to sign with Predators
As others have also speculated, while nothing can be signed until Monday, Matt Duchene slated to join Nashville. Contract can’t be officially negotiated until Monday but sounds like $56 million over 7 years is what has been discussed.
— Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) July 1, 2019
- Free-agent forward Matt Duchene is reportedly set to join the Nashville Predators on a contract carrying an average annual value of $8 million.
- This is finally happening.
- If Duchene signs in Nashville, he’ll probably be leaving on the table.
- The Montreal Canadiens have shown great interest in the 27 years old centerman.
- Rumors has it that Bergevin was willing to offer Duchene AAV $9M a year.
- Per Friedman, the Blue Jackets attempted to retain Duchene’s services with an eight-year offer in the same neighborhood as Nashville’s, but the center decided to join the Preds. (It’s worth noting that Tennessee has no income tax.)
- It’s clear that the Preds were positioning themselves for a big free agent splash when they dealt PK Subban to the Devils earlier this offseason. That move was seemingly a glorified salary cap dump in order to help free up some money for the Duchene signing.
- Duchene and Nashville also already have a little bit of history. The Predators played the role of facilitator in the three-team trade that sent Duchene from Colorado to Ottawa a few years ago as he sought to play for a winner.
- It’s clear that MAtt wants to join a Cup Contender team.
It sounds like Matt Duchene will join the #preds. Expect his contract to come in with an $8M AAV.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) July 1, 2019