Steve Yzerman might be looking to sacrifice some forwards to acquire a young defenceman on the market
- Steve Yzerman knows it.
- If he wants build a winning competitive team, he’s gonna have to start with the foundation.
- Right now this team has been relying on Mike Green and Niklas Kronwall as 1st and second defenseman.
- Not the youngest pair of defenseman you want to build on.
- Few players are generating as much buzz at the current world championships than Anthony Mantha.
- That could certainly value up his trade value on the Market.
- A player like Athanasiou could also would be a meaningful return.
- To make a pure, true player-for-player hockey trade, the Wings don’t have many options.
- There aren’t many assets that are going to entice another team to give up a talented player, likely the defenseman the Wings need.
- It wouldn’t be the first time Yzerman would sacrifice a young prospect forward for a Top 4 D.
- Back in 2017, when Yzerman was still working as the Tampa Bay Lightning GM, he agreed on a Blockbuster deal with the Montreal Canadiens to make the acquisition of young defenseman Mikhail Sergachev.
- Yzerman then sacrificed Jonathan Drouin who was drafted 3rd overall by the Lightning back in 2013
Defense is so important in this game now. Having those young puck-moving defensemen in a league that’s such a speed league now, for me, that’s really job one to rebuild and remake that defense. We’ll see where it goes.
NHL Reporter E.J. Hradek
— Detroit News Sports (@detnews_sports) May 14, 2019