In controversial fashion, Finland has OT winner waved off after review
- Finland thought that they had won the gold medal on Petra Nieminen’s overtime-winner
- But the celebration in Helsinki was cut short in controversial fashion after the goal was waved off following a lengthy review, which deemed there was goaltender interference on the play.
- The USA would later go on to win the game in a shootout.
- Finland does the unexpected.
- Petra Nieminen gets the game-winning goal and wild celebrations take place.
- Finland is the world champion, but the tournament organizer hands the trophy to the Americans.
Finland is the winner!!! Helmets litter the ice, everybody is running towards Petra Nieminen….. Refs are called to check the goal pic.twitter.com/pjRGvWHKVT
— Yuri K. Fukamati (@yurifukamati) April 15, 2019