- Some teams are going to be relieved the season is finally over
— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) April 7, 2019
- They can now focus on the future of their organisation.
- This year’s NHL Draft Lottery will go down a little earlier than usual
- On April 9, the 2019 lottery order will be revealed to all eliminated teams.
- This year is going to be a bit special as the team with the best odds to end up with the first-overall selection also happens to be in the playoffs.
- General manager Joe Sakic could be at the lottery Tuesday night, and then in Calgary Thursday to watch his team play in Game 1.
- The excitement will be palpable in Colorado.
- Indeed, Jared Bednar’s side go into the playoffs for a second consecutive year after a season of misery two years ago, and have the best chance of getting the first pick.
TOP 10 drafts prospects
1. Kaapo Kakko, TPS (Liiga)
2. Jack Hughes, USNTDP
3. Vasily Podkolzin, St. Peterburg (VHL)
4. Dylan Cozens, Lethbridge (WHL)
5. Trevor Zegras, USNTDP
6. Bowen Byram, Vancouver (WHL)
7. Peyton Krebs, Kootenay (WHL)
8. Alex Turcotte, USNTDP
9. Kirby Dach, Saskatoon (WHL)
10. Thomas Harley, Mississauga (OHL)
Here how it works
The 2019 NHL Draft Lottery will consist of three drawings: the 1st Lottery Draw will determine the club selecting first overall, the 2nd Lottery Draw will determine the club selecting second overall and the 3rd Lottery Draw will determine the club selecting third overall.
The odds for the remaining teams will increase on a proportionate basis for the 2nd Lottery Draw, based on which club wins the 1st Lottery Draw, and again for the 3rd Lottery Draw, based on which club wins the 2nd Lottery Draw.
The 12 clubs not selected in the 2019 NHL Draft Lottery will be assigned 2019 NHL Draft selections 4 through 15, in inverse order of regular-season points.